Colonel Phillip G. Born serves as Commander, Air Force Security Forces Center (AFSFC), Air Force Installation and Mission Support Center, Air Force Materiel Command, Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland, Texas. He directs the day-to-day operations of the center and its four directorates, which are responsible for organizing, training and equipping more than 38,000 security forces in the active and air reserve component. The organization is cross-functional, manned by security forces, intelligence, office of special investigation, explosives ordnance disposal, medical, scientific, communications, engineering, logistics, and acquisition program management personnel. The center’s mission includes the ability to rapidly identify and validate innovative force protection initiatives which improve the Air Force’s mission execution and joint warfighting capabilities. Colonel Born also supervises three geographically-separated detachments: the Desert Defender Ground Combat Readiness Training Center at Fort Bliss, Texas, and two corrections facilities, one at Marine Corps Air Station Miramar, California, and the other at Fort Leavenworth, Kansas.
Colonel Born received his commission through the U.S. Air Force Academy in 1997, having earned a Bachelor of Science degree in History. As a career security forces officer, he has worked at the squadron, major command, sub-unified and combatant command staff levels in various positions. Additionally, he has commanded three security forces squadrons. In his most recent assignment, he was the Chief of Security Forces, U.S. Air Forces in Europe-Air Forces Africa and was responsible for enterprise protection and mission assurance at 25 locations in 15 nations, as well as contingency planning, training and execution in support of antiterrorism and integrated defense across two combatant commands with over 100 nations.
1997 Bachelor of Science, History, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
2000 Air Base Ground Defense Commander’s Course, Sembach Air Base, Germany
2002 Squadron Officers School (Distinguished Graduate), Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2003 Security Forces Advanced Officers Course, Lackland AFB, Texas
2004 U.S. Air Force Police Administrator Course, Eastern Kentucky University, Richmond, Ky.
2008 Master of Science, Military Operational Arts and Sciences, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2011 Master of Arts, Security Affairs, Homeland Security and Defense, Naval Postgraduate School, Monterey, Calif.
2016 Master of Science, National Resource Strategy, Eisenhower School for National Resource Strategy, National Defense University, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
2019 Leading Strategically Program, Center for Creative Leadership, Colorado Springs, Colo.
1. August 1997 – July 1999, Resources and Training Flight Commander, 366th Security Forces Squadron, Mountain Home AFB, Idaho (September 1997-November 1997, Flight Commander, 366th Expeditionary Security Forces Squadron, Sheik Isa Air Base, Bahrain)
2. July 1999 – October 2002, Flight Commander then Assistant Operations Officer, 568th Security Forces Flight, Ramstein AB, Germany (November 2001 – Feb 2002, Chief, Security Forces, 16th Air Expeditionary Wing, Aviano Air Base, Italy)
3. October 2002 – May 2005, Chief, Security Forces Operations Branch and Deputy Provost Marshall, Headquarters 5th Air Force and U.S. Forces Japan, Yokota AB, Japan (May 2003 – November 2003, Chief, Force Protection, Joint Special Operations Task Force-Philippines, Camp Navarro, Zamboanga, Philippines)
4. May 2005 – June 2006, Operations Officer, 51st Security Forces Squadron, Osan AB, Korea
5. June 2006 – July 2008, Operations Officer, 316th Security Forces Squadron, Andrews AFB, Md. (January 2007 – August 2007, Operations Officer, 886th Expeditionary Security Forces Squadron, Camp Bucca, Iraq)
6. July 2008 – August 2010, Commander, 10th Security Forces Squadron, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo. (August 2009 – February 2010, Commander, 451st Expeditionary Security Forces Squadron, Kandahar AB, Afghanistan)
7. August 2010 – December 2011, Student, Naval Postgraduate School, Monterey, Calif.
8. January 2012 – June 2014, Chief, Plans and Programs Branch then Chief, Integrated Defense Branch, Security Forces Operations Division, Directorate
9. June 2014 – June 2015, Commander, 379th Expeditionary Security Forces Squadron, Al Udeid AB, Qatar
10. July 2015 – July 2016, Student, Eisenhower School for National Resource Strategy, National Defense University, Fort McNair, Washington, D.C.
11. July 2016 – June 2018, Chief, Nuclear Mission Assurance Division, U.S. Strategic Command, Offutt AFB, Neb.
12. June 2018 – July 2020, Vice Commander, 37th Training Wing, Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland, Texas
13. July 2020 – July 2022, Chief, Security Forces Division, Headquarters U.S. Air Forces in Europe-Air Forces Africa, Ramstein AB, Germany
14. July 2022 – Present, Commander, Air Force Security Forces Center, JBSA-Lackland, Texas
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal
Legion of Merit
Bronze Star with oak leaf cluster
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Joint Service Commendation Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster
Army Achievement Medal
Joint Meritorious Unit Award
National Defense Service Medal with bronze star device
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal
Afghanistan Campaign Medal with one device
Iraq Campaign Medal with one device
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Korean Defense Service Medal
Armed Forces Services Medal
Nuclear Deterrence Operations Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
EFFECTIVE DATE OF PROMOTIONS
Second Lieutenant May 28, 1997
First Lieutenant May 28, 1999
Captain May 28, 2001
Major Jan. 1, 2007
Lieutenant Colonel Dec. 1, 2010
Colonel April 1, 2017
(Current as of July 2022)