Colonel Richard W. Martin, Jr., serves as Commander, Detachment 4, Air Force Installation and Mission Support Center, Ramstein Air Base, Germany. He leads 81 people responsible for providing responsive installation and mission support services for U.S. Air Forces in Europe-Air Forces Africa.
Prior to assuming his current position, Colonel Martin was commander of the 423rd Air Base Group, Royal Air Force Alconbury, United Kingdom, responsible for three installations in England and one in Norway.
Colonel Martin is from Norton, Massachusetts, and received his commission through the Reserve Officer Training Corps at Clarkson University in 1998 upon graduating. His assignments include positions at the U.S. Air Force Academy and National Defense University as faculty; major command, Headquarters Air Force and joint staff and multiple squadron commands. He has also deployed to Eskan Village, Saudi Arabia, in 2007 and to Kandahar Airfield, Afghanistan, in 2015 where he served as the 451st Expeditionary Support Squadron Commander.
Colonel Martin is a licensed professional engineer in Colorado.
1998 Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering, Clarkson University, Potsdam, N.Y.
2002 Masters of Science in Civil Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, Ga.
2004 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2008 Air Command and Staff College, Correspondence
2010 U.S. Army Command and General Staff College, Fort Leavenworth, Kan.
2015 Air War College, Maxwell-Gunter AFB, Ala., Correspondence (Outstanding Graduate)
2018 Master of Strategic Studies, Air War College, Maxwell-Gunter AFB, Ala., (Academic Distinction)
1. June 1998 - July 2000, Civil Engineer/Construction Management, 96th Civil Engineer Group, Eglin AFB, Fla.
2. July 2000 - July 2001, Readiness Flight Commander, 96th Civil Engineer Squadron, Eglin AFB, Fla.
3. August 2001 - August 2002, Graduate Student, Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, Ga.
4. August 2002 - June 2003, Chief of Design, 51st Civil Engineer Squadron, Osan AB, Republic of Korea
5. June 2003 - June 2006, Executive Officer and Assistant Professor, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colo.
6. June 2006 - March 2008, Facilities Program Manager, Headquarters Air Mobility Command, Scott AFB, Ill.
7. March 2008 - June 2009, Chief, Inspection Policy and Process Branch and Lead Civil Engineer Inspector, Headquarters Air Mobility Command Inspector General, Scott AFB, Ill.
8. June 2009 - June 2010, Student, U.S. Army Command and General Staff College, Fort Leavenworth, Kan.
9. June 2010 - June 2012, Operations Flight Commander, 9th Civil Engineer Squadron, Beale AFB, Calif.
10. June 2012 - June 2014, Commander, 423rd Civil Engineer Squadron, RAF Alconbury, United Kingdom
11. July 2014 – July 2016, Commander, 325th Civil Engineer Squadron, Tyndall AFB, Fla. (October 2015 – April 2016, Commander, 451st Expeditionary Support Squadron, Kandahar Airfield, Afghanistan)
12. July 2016 – July 2017, Deputy Chair, Installation Support Panel, DCS/Logistics, Engineering, and Force Protection, Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
13. July 2017 – May 2018, Student, Air War College, Maxwell-Gunter AFB, Ala.
14. July 2018 – June 2019, Chief of Construction, United States Forces Korea, Camp Humphreys, Republic of Korea
15. June 2019 – July 2020, Dean of Students, Air Force Chair, and Military Faculty, College of International Security Affairs, National Defense University, Fort McNair, Washington, D.C.
16. July 2020 – July 2022, Commander, 423rd Air Base Group, RAF Alconbury, United Kingdom
17. August 2022 – Present, Commander, Detachment 4, Air Force Installation and Mission Support Center, Ramstein Air Base, Germany
AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit
Defense Meritorious Service Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Meritorious Service Medal with five oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Force Achievement Medal
Air Force Meritorious Unit Award
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with three oak leaf clusters
Air Force Organizational Excellence Award
Afghanistan Campaign Medal
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
Korean Defense Service Medal
Nuclear Deterrence Operations Service Medal
North Atlantic Treaty Organization Non-Article 5 Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant June 15, 1998
First Lieutenant June 15, 2000
Captain June 15, 2002
Major April 1, 2008
Lieutenant Colonel Aug. 1, 2013
Colonel Oct. 1, 2019
(Current as of August 2022)