Colonel John E. Tryon is the Commander, Detachment 1, Air Force Civil Engineer Center, Air Force Installation and Mission Support Center, Air Force Materiel Command, Tyndall Air Force Base, Florida. In this position, he assists the AFCEC commander in leading a more than 2,200-person primary subordinate unit responsible for providing responsive, flexible full spectrum installation engineering services. AFCEC missions include facility investment planning, design and construction, operations support, real property management, combat readiness, energy support, environmental compliance and restoration, and audit assertions, acquisition and program management. The unit conducts its operations at more than 75 locations worldwide.
Prior to his current position, Colonel Tryon served as director of AFCEC’s Operations Directorate. He has commanded at the group and squadron level, held positions at the installation, major command and air staff levels and has multiple deployments.
1994 Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering, Tulane University, New Orleans, La.
2000 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2005 Master of Science in Engineering Management, Air Force Institute of Technology, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
2005 Air Command and Staff College, Air Force Institute of Technology, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
2014 Air War College, correspondence
1. September 1994 - September 1995, Base Programmer, 42nd Civil Engineer Squadron, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2. October 1995 - May 1998, MILCON Program Manager and Design Engineer, 42nd CES, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
3. June 1998 - June 2000, Readiness Flight Commander, 36th Civil Engineer Squadron, Andersen Air Base, Guam
4. July 2000 - July 2003, NATO Construction Program Manager, Directorate of Civil Engineering, Headquarters United States Air Forces in Europe, Regional Civil Engineer, Waterbeach, United Kingdom
5. August 2003 - April 2005, Student, Intermediate Developmental Education and Graduate Engineering Management Programs, Air Force Institute of Technology, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
6. May 2005 - July 2007, Facility Requirements Manager, Headquarters Air Mobility Command, Scott AFB, Ill.
7. August 2007 - May 2010, Chief, Bases and Units Section, Office of The Civil Engineer, The Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
8. March 2009 - March 2010, Programs Flight Chief, 332nd Expeditionary Civil Engineer Squadron, Joint Base Balad, Iraq
9. March 2010 - July 2012, Commander, 7th Civil Engineer Squadron, Dyess AFB, Texas
10. July 2012 - July 2014, Commander, 355th Civil Engineer Squadron, Davis-Monthan AFB, Ariz.
11. August 2014 – July 2016, Deputy Readiness Director, Air Force Civil Engineer Center, Tyndall AFB, Fla.
12. August 2016- July 2017, Commander, 1st Expeditionary Civil Engineer Group, Al Udeid AB, Qatar
13. August 2017 – September 2020, Director, Operations Directorate, Air Force Civil Engineer Center, Tyndall AFB, Fla.
14. September 2020 – present, Commander, Detachment 1, Air Force Civil Engineer Center, Tyndall AFB, Fla.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS:
Legion of Merit
Air Force Meritorious Service Medal with six oak leaf clusters
Joint Service Commendation Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal
Army Achievement Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION:
Second Lieutenant July 1994
First Lieutenant July 1996
Captain July 1998
Major December 2004
Lieutenant Colonel November 2009
Colonel January 2016
(Current as of September 2020)